Monday 19 May 2014

Zucchini Pancakes


zucchini-pancakes-1

If getting your kids to eat more vegetables comes easy for you, good for you.  But for the rest of us with kids that whine and decide not to like certain meals because of the vegetables, I feel your pain. I really do.
I am always trying to find ways for my kids to incorporate more vegetables into their diets and my efforts are usually met with grimaces followed by a negative attitude.  This doesn’t stop me from including vegetables and fruit each day.  However, finding creative ways to include vegetables so kids will like them can be challenging.
I had this thought the other day: If my kids will eat zucchini bread, why wouldn’t they eat zucchini pancakes?  The task I had before me was to come up with a scratch zucchini pancake recipe that my kids would not only eat, they would love.
Fortunately for me this proved to be easy.  Like spinach in fruit smoothies, adding shredded zucchini to pancake batter surprisingly doesn’t change the flavor or texture much – hardly noticeable if at all. Tastes the same as regular pancakes and the only difference is that you can visually see green tinged shreds.
What I have for you today is a great zucchini pancake recipe you could serve your family without getting much push back.  If you can get them to try one bite, I believe not only will they love them, they may request them for breakfast again. Enjoy!
zucchini-shreds

Recipe: Zucchini Pancakes

  • Prep Time: 10 min(s)
  •  
  • Cook Time: 10 min(s)
  •  
  • Total Time: 20 min(s)
  •  
  • Servings: 6-8 pancakes
A delicious breakfast pancake made with zucchini.

Ingredients

    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup self-rising all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 small zucchini shredded (approximately 1 cup)
    pancake syrup

Instructions

    Whisk the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla until well mixed.
    Stir in the flour, sugar, and baking soda until the dry ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
    Stir in the zucchini.
    Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and coat it with non-stick spray.
    Pour 1/3 cup of the pancake batter onto the pan. Watch for the pancake to form bubbles and the griddle side of the pancake golden, just under one minute.
    Gently flip the pancake over and cook for 30 seconds or until golden.
    Spray non-stick spray between cooking new pancakes.
    Serve with pancake syrup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment