Monday 19 May 2014

Sweet, Simple Bonding Over Spicy Albondigas Stew

Sweet, Simple Bonding Over Spicy Albondigas Stew post image
I can’t help but think about that preciously sweet time of courtship between my husband and I many years back whenever I think of albondigas soup. Just considering it, and imagining that time of my life, automatically curls my lips up into a big, mischievous smile, and fills my heart with an extra little “thump-thump” and a soft haziness, the kind that nudges me on into a warm, lingering daydream or fuzzy reminiscence.
Spicy Albondigas Stew
It’s kind of funny, though not at all surprising, that some of the things that my now hubby and I longed to know about each other and talk about when we first connected, were things of a food nature. I know it may sound silly, but the truth is, I really think you can get to know a lot about someone—how they approach things, how they see things; are they daring, boring, loving, colorful, etc.—by how they feel about food. Have you ever noticed that?
Spicy Albondigas Stew
I vividly remember sharing with my then quickly-becoming-best-friend that cooking and food were my passion, not only professionally speaking, but in life in general. And I remember him responding that he, too, absolutely adored cooking, and had cooked for himself quite often; that preparing a good, rich albondigas soup was one of his favorite, most comforting things that he loved to savor. I remember thinking, “Ah…he likes things that are cozy, comfy AND spicy.” He certainly seemed like the perfect match for me! And now, all these years later, I can very joyfully tell you that, indeed, he was.
Spicy Albondigas Stew
There’s no question that food can be a big part of the bonding process between us creatures of the two-legged kind. Food elicits emotions; it stirs up that part of the soul that deeply longs to nurture (give), and to also be nurtured (to receive). It wakes up our senses and gets our juices flowing, and it creates an opportunity to slow down, relax, become more acutely aware of our senses, and just enjoy some time really getting to know one another, or strengthening that bond that is already there between us.
Spicy Albondigas Stew
Spicy Albondigas Stew
When we cook together, or when we eat together, we share in the sort of basic activity of survival; we’re there alongside each other during this process of taking pleasure in sustenance, and often open our hearts up and communicate what is deep inside of us because there is a comfort and gratitude in the process of eating a good meal.
It’s a bonding experience of the best kind.
Spicy Albondigas Stew
Spicy Albondigas Stew
This comforting, mildly spicy and hearty albondigas stew recipe this week is inspired by my sweet, cozy, comfy and mildly spicy hubby. It’s my way of showing him a little tender, loving care, and giving back to him some of the nurture that he gives to me.
It’s a special little warm blanket for us to wrap ourselves in; a pillowy little fort to find a few moments of shelter and refuge from the craziness of this world. And I hope that it can do the same for you.
May we all enjoy a little taste of sweet, simple bonding, even if just one delicious spoonful at a time.
Taste what’s good and pass it on.
Ingrid

0 comments:

Post a Comment